Blair hits back at Tories
over EU presidency
PRIME Minister Tony Blair hit back at Tories who attacked his handling of the European Union (EU) presidency.
He said Britain had come a long way in the past year in its relations with the rest of the EU.
“The days of the beef war, 14 against one, Government position ravaged by warring factions in the governing party, are over,” he said.
He won unexpectedly warm applause on his first visit to the European Parliament in Strasbourg after he spoke of his enthusiasm for the “European ideal”.
- Hague slams Blair over CAP reform, FWi, yesterday (18 June)
- The Scotsman 19/06/98 page 12
- The Guardian 19/06/98 page 17
- The Independent 19/06/98 page 8
- The Daily Telegraph 19/06/98 page 12