Brussels tries to settle banana row
THE European Commission has suggested ending quotas for banana imports as one of a number of alternative options for ending the trade dispute with the USA.
Another possible approach involves ending limits on imports from African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) countries.
Introducing a new quota which would be shared by ACP and Latin American countries could be a further solution, Brussels believes.
- WTO issues verdict on banana dispute, FWi, 07 May, 1999
- WTO considers banana regime, FWi, 28 April, 1999
- EU to reform banana regime, FWi, 20 April, 1999
- WTO to authorise banana sanctions, FWi, 19 April, 1999
- Europe ready to accept banana defeat, FWi, 16 April, 1999
- WTO to back US banana sanctions? FWi, 13 April, 1999
- Financial Times 27/05/99 page 7