Caribbean blocks US banana sanctions
US plans to impose a range of punitive sanctions against European Union (EU) exports over Europes banana regime were thwarted by St Lucia and Dominica.
The two Caribbean states blocked the agenda at a meeting of the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
This move came after another day of talks between the USA and EU officials and Renato Ruggiero, WTO director-general, failed to agree a deal.
Talks continue today.
The US list of sanctions includes pig meat imports.
- Compromise in banana battle?, FWi, yesterday (25 January, 1999)
- EU raises stakes in banana war, FWi, 22 January, 1999
- USA seeks sanctions in banana war, FWi, 15 January, 1999
- USA keeps up banana threats, FWi, 13 January, 1999
- The Times 26/01/99 page 28
- Financial Times 26/01/99 page 6, 19 (Analysis)
- The Guardian 26/01/99 page 22