Check OSR pack weights: Union
By FARMERS WEEKLY staff
THE National Farmers Union is advising growers to check the weight of packs of oilseed rape seed.
Many growers have complained that packs weigh less than they thought theyd ordered, and their suspicions may be correct, said NFU advisor Paul Ibbott.
This follows a move by seeds suppliers in recent years to sell some varieties by area pack – a typical 22.5kg bag would be sold as a 4ha pack, rather than by weight.
But Mr Ibbott said that some otherwise apparently similar packs contain only 20kg this year.
United Oilseeds advises growers should sow by seed numbers, rather than weight – for conventional varieties about 120 seeds/m2, and for hybrids about 70 seeds/m2.
A spokesman said smaller seed could be the reason for the lighter packs.
- FWi Arable – our arable news page
- Harvest Highlights – our comprehensive harvest round-up
- Seed Selector – our exclusive interactive variety guide
- Click here for a demo of the new, improved FWi Weathercast service
- Heavy rain raises French crop doubts, FWi, 15 August, 2001
- Gemini OK, says breeder, FWi, 20 July, 2001
- Call for three-year OSR variety tests, FWi, 24 May, 2001