Demand surges for organic food
TWO of the countrys biggest supermarkets are both reporting a surge in demand for organic food, according to a report in The Guardian
Tesco has seen a 20-fold increase over the last three years, whereas Sainsbury reports a 125-fold rise since 1995.
Sales of organic food are expected to reach £500m per annum next year and take 10% of the market by 2005.
The amount of organically-farmed land is just 1.5% of the total agricultural land.
- The Guardian 07/09/99 page 2
- The Herald 07/09/99 page 26
- The Independent 30/07/99 page 9 (Review section)
- Call for organic-GM compromise, FWi, (29 July, 1999)
- Limit fungicides on organic farms – Lords, FWi, (29 July, 1999)