EU challenge to US beef sanctions
THE European Union is set to challenge the level of threatened US trade retaliation against its ban on hormone-treated beef.
Earlier the USA said it was seeking authorisation from the World Trade Organisation (WTO) to impose 100% tariffs on $202 million (£125m) of EU exports because Europe had failed to meet the 13 May deadline for complying with a WTO ruling against the ban.
The European Commission said the $202m figure was excessive. EU foreign and agriculture ministers meeting in Brussels gave no sign that they were ready to lift the 11-year-old ban. But they also agreed they wanted a peaceful resolution to the dispute.
- USA plays long game over beef, FWi, yesterday (18 May, 1999)
- USA prepares sanctions against EU, FWi, 14 May, 1999
- USA squeezes EU over beef, FWi, 13 May, 1999
- Europe offers to compensate USA over beef, FWi, 12 May, 1999
- EU to maintain hormone beef ban, FWi, 05 May, 1999
- US hormone beef could cause cancer – EU, FWi, 04 May, 1999
- Crunch approaches in beef hormone battle, FWi, 30 April, 1999
- Trade war looms over beef, FWi, 29 April, 1999
- Europe to ban American beef, FWi, 28 April, 1999
- Financial Times 18/05/99 page 8