EU threatens trade war with USA
THE European Union (EU) is preparing for a battle of wills with the USA over trade.
The USA has threatened sanctions over the EUs banana import regime.
The EU now says it has “several options” if sanctions are imposed, including action through the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
The USA has already won a WTO case over the regime, which gives producers in former African, Caribbean and Pacific colonies of France and the UK privileged access to the UK market.
- EU and US head for battle over bananas, FWi, yesterday (09 November, 1998)
- USA escalates banana battle with EU, FWi, 22 October, 1998
- Caribbean fury at “cynical” American approach to bananas, FWi, 29 July, 1998
- US and Latin Americans urge WTO to review banana deal, FWi, 24 July, 1998
- “Relief” over ACP bananas deal, FWi, 08 July, 1998
- Financial Times 10/11/98 page 1
- The Guardian 10/11/98 page 16