EU to reform banana regime
THE European Union (EU) has agreed to reform its controversial banana import regime – but has ruled out agreeing a deal before January next year.
The announcement came as the World Trade Organisation formally authorised the USA to impose $191.4 million (£118.6m) in trade sanctions on EU goods.
The move was in retaliation for Europes failure to make its banana regime consistent with global trade rules.
- WTO to authorise banana sanctions, FWi, yesterday (19 April, 1999)
- Europe ready to accept banana defeat, FWi, 16 April, 1999
- WTO to back US banana sanctions? FWi, 13 April, 1999
- Good week for the US, FWi, 12 April, 1999
- Banana ruling pleases Latin farmers, FWi, 09 April, 1999
- The Independent 20/04/02/99 page 5
- Financial Times 20/04/99 page 9
- The Guardian 20/04/99 page 11
- The Herald 20/04/99 page 25