EU-wide food agency rejected
EMMA BONINO, European Union consumer affairs commissioner, has rejected calls for an independent European food agency.
The demand had been made in the wake of the Belgian food crisis over contaminated animal feed.
Ms Bonino said the EU should look at tightening laws on animal feed and that member states should enforce existing laws on food safety.
She also questioned whether members would be willing to relinquish controls to an agency operating independently of the Commission.
- EU confirms action over dioxin scare, FWi, yesterday (16 June, 1999)
- Food crisis costs Belgian PM his job, FWi, 15 June, 1999 \
- Producers told to check for dioxins, FWi, 11 June, 1999
- Angry Belgian farmers blockade roads, FWi, 11 June, 1999
- Belgium criticised over food scare, FWi, 10 June, 1999
- Financial Times 17/06/99 page 3 (News Digest)