Europeans sceptical of GM food
EUROPEAN consumers are more sceptical of genetically modified (GM) food than their counterparts in North America, reports the Financial Times.
In a special section on life sciences, one industry observer says that the companies behind GM technology face a long battle to reclaim consumer confidence.
There is a need for industry, scientists and government to be thinking ahead to give adequate time for debate and achieve social consensus for biotechnology, he says.
- Consumers should read up on GM food – Brown, FWi, 08 February, 1999
- Public are against GM foods, FWi, 18 November, 1998
- Consumers say no to GM food, FWi, 18 October, 1998
- Government and food industry “out of step” with public on GM foods, FWi, 04 June, 1998
- Financial Times 15/03/99 page I – VI (Life Sciences survey)