Farm worker dies in silo
A FARM worker died yesterday (Monday) after falling into a grain silo at Grove Farm, Bletchington, Oxfordshire, reports the Daily Telegraph.
The accident happened a week after the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) launched an agricultural safety campaign aimed at preventing farm accidents.
The campaign, which highlights the dangers from driving tractors on slopes, was launched at the Royal Show and featured in The Herald today.
Seven people died from accidents involving overturned vehicles on British farms last year and the HSE said a lack of training was a common factor in all deaths.
Contributory factors included ground conditions, distribution of the load and hidden obstacles.
- The Daily Telegraph 13/07/99 page 13 (In Brief)
- The Herald 13/07/99 page 23
- Farm death toll sparks campaign, FWi, (07 July, 1999)
- Farmers niece loses three fingers, FWi, today (07 July, 1999)
- Killer bulls owner guilty, FWi, yesterday (06 July, 1999)
- Girl killed on farm as HSE urges child protection, FWi, 08 July, 1998