Farmers threaten Chinese premiers US visit
THE US farm lobby could embarrass the Chinese premier when he visits America this week, reports the Financial Times.
The paper predicts that the visit by Zhu Rongji could be “marred in controversy” if the US farm lobby starts clamouring for China to open its agriculture market.
China is currently bidding for entry into the World Trade Organisation but its application is under review pending the liberalisation of some of its key markets, including agriculture.
- The Times 06/04/02/99 page 15, page 19 (Editorial)
- The Independent 06/04/02/99 page 4
- Financial Times 06/04/99 page 6
- The Guardian 06/04/99 page 11
- The Daily Telegraph 06/04/99 page 25