French campaigner fights jail term
By FWi staff
FRENCH farmer and anti-globalisation protester Jose Bove has been sentenced to three months in prison for attacking a McDonalds restaurant.
Passing sentence the court in Millau, Mr Boves home town, said the sheep farmer had been guilty of a criminal act which must be punished.
Mr Bove said he would appeal against the sentence which was in excess of the one month demanded by the prosecution.
He is currently under an eight-month suspended sentence for destroying a genetically modified crop and will remain free pending the appeal, reports The Times.
- French farmer a national hero, FWi, 27 October 1999
- French step up anti-US campaign, FWi, 01 September 1999
- The Times 14/09/2000 page 16
- The Daily Telegraph 14/09/2000 page 17
- The Guardian 14/09/2000 page 18
- The Independent 14/09/2000 page 13