Germany admits beef ban must go
GERMANYS agriculture minister Karl-Heinz Funke has admitted his countrys ban on British beef is illegal and cannot be maintained for long.
His statement comes after the German health minister Andrea Fischer expressed a determination to maintain the ban because of fears about the reliability of European regulations governing meat exports.
The Meat and Livestock Commission has forecast it is unlikely the German ban will be lifted before the end of September. The commission also says exports to France will not be possible until 1 September.
- Dont buy British when ban is over – Funke, FWi, yesterday (09 August, 1999)
- Germany isolated over beef exports, FWi, 06 August, 1999
- Germany threatened over beef ban, FWi, 05 August, 1999
- Bans for your own good, say Germans, FWi, 04 August, 1999
- The Herald 10/08/99 page 23