Government against gene food ban
THE UK government has rejected demands from the political opposition for a moratorium on the sale of genetically modified foods.
It wants more research carried out into possible health and environmental risks.
The Prime Minister said the government would proceed only on the basis of firm scientific evidence, and a moratorium would unnecessarily raise public fears.
- The Times 04/02/99 page 2
- The Independent 04/02/99 page 2, page 8
- Financial Times 04/02/99 page 8
- The Guardian 04/02/99 page 11
- The Daily Telegraph 04/02/99 page 5