Government consults on climate change
THE Government launched its consultation paper on climate change yesterday (Monday) – but thinks agricultural greenhouse gas sources are not the major problem.
Greenhouse gases in the countryside have two sources: nitrous oxide from nitrogen-rich fertilisers and methane from the digestive processes and wastes of animals.
The Government thinks emissions from both will fall by 2010.
Wider measures proposed include an extension of the use of voluntary agreements; regulation; and new energy taxes.
- The Times 27/10/98 page 11
- The Independent 27/10/98 page 5
- Financial Times 27/10/98 page 10
- The Guardian 27/10/98 page 4
- The Daily Telegraph 27/10/98 page 2
- The Herald 27/10/98 page 11