Gwyther faces censure motion
CHRISTINE Gwyther, the controversial vegetarian Welsh farming minister, faces a vote of no confidence today.
This comes after criticism of her handling of a scheme to slaughter unwanted calves.
The scheme was approved by the Welsh assembly last month and would have delivered £750,000 to farmers.
But European Union agriculture commissioner Franz Fischler rejected the scheme saying it was against EU rules.
The censure motion is expected to be carried against Gwyther. Her party, Labour, is in a minority in the assembly with 28 seats. The opposition holds 32.
- Second confidence test for Gwyther, FWi, today (19 October, 1999)
- Welsh vote to go it alone over calves, FWi, 16 September 1999
- Wales to introduce new calf scheme, FWi, 08 September 1999
- Vegetarian wont quit Welsh farm minister job, FWi, 21 May 1999
- The Guardian 19/10/99 page 12