Haulier to turn milk buyer
A HAULIER who lost a contract from Scottish Milk collecting milk from farms in Ayrshire plans to set up a milk buying company.
Bob Mackinnon launched Ayrshire Milk this week with a presentation to 300 producers in Kilmarnock.
He said he aimed to get farmers in Ayrshire back under one umbrella and achieve financial savings by operating a more efficient transport system.
Longer-term he hopes to roll out a similar system across other parts of the country.
Mackinnon lost the contract worth £2.5 million with Scottish Milk in July.
He said he had six major players prepared to buy milk from the new company when it got off the ground.
He expected Ayrshire Milk to begin operations by about March next year.
- Scottish Milk board to get back some bonus, FWi, , 30 July, 1999
- Milk Price Review – £4.5m bonus from Scottish Milk, FWi, 30 June, 1999
- Scottish Milk denies threat, FWi, 20 April 1999
- Scottish Milk profits up, FWi, 02 July 1998
- The Herald 01/10/99 page 27