ITS HAPPENING THIS WEEKEND
Just a day to go before the Farmers Weekly
4×4 and Country Car show opens its doors at
Grimsthorpe Castle Estate, Lincs on Sept 11 and 12
This weekend theres a new way of seeing (and trying) whats on the 4×4 market – come to the farmers weekly 4×4 and Country Car Show. There will be a chance to test ride most vehicles on the market, do a deal with manufacturers or importers and generally soak up the atmosphere of Britains first 4×4 and country car event aimed specifically at farmers and other rural users.
Where? Grimsthorpe Castle near Bourne, Lincs, just off the A1. This is a 5200ha (13,000 acre) farming estate made up of 24 tenanted farms based around Park Farm.
When? Sat Sep 11 and Sun Sep 12.
• Virtually all the main manufacturers and importers of 4x4s and pick-ups will be there. Two test courses sponsored by NFU Mutual are being specially designed for the event by Robert Close, past European Group N rally champion and Hill Rally Series British champion. One is for leisure-type vehicles through a forest and the other for full-blooded off-roaders in a quarry.
• ATV makers will be there with a specially constructed ATV course.
• Clay pigeons, falconry, gun dog displays, crafts and a fashion show.
• More details? Contact the organisers Live Promotions on 01775-768661 (tel), 01775-768665 (fax).
WHOLL BE THERE
B & A Transatlantic Services
BF Goodrich/Southam Tyres
Bryn Hall Country Furniture
C and J Supplies
Caversham Garage (G-Wagen)
Drayton Motors (Jeep/Daihatsu)
Fentons of Bourne (Tata)
Gorefield Iron Traders
Gun Bus Company (Unimog)
Heart of England Falconry
Heartline Health Promotion
International Motors (Isuzu/Subaru)
JG Quick & Partners
John Craddock/Wild Cat
Linpac Garages (Toyota)
Nikki Webster – Bioflow
Per Radua Beagles
Picker S & R
Pools & Gardens
RAC Motoring Services
Smallholder Tractor Co.
Ultimate 4×4 Doublecabs
WIN A CHALLENGER
Good news – the prize in the forth- coming FW/Mitsubishi competition
has just got bigger! You can now win
a Mitsubishi Challenger 2.5TD worth more than £20,000. Entry forms will be on the FW stand at the 4×4 show or
in the Sept 24 issue of the magazine.
Normal prices for the FW4x4 and Country Car event are £6 for adults and £3 for OAPS
and under 16s. Under 5s get in free.
A family pass admits two adults and
two children and costs £15.
However, bring the coupon published in FW Aug 13 p81 along with you when you come to the event and one person can get in half-price – ie £3 for an adult or £1.50 for an OAP or child. Only one half price entry per coupon and sorry, no photocopies!
Entry to the FW4x4 event also includes access to the gardens, grounds and parkland at Grimsthorpe, as well as the childrens adventure playground. However entry to the castle itself (open 1-4.30pm on both days) costs £3/adult and £1.50/under 16 or OAP.
HOUSE AND GARDENS TO VISIT TOO
WANT a break from all that off-road stuff? Theres a lot else to enjoy at the picturesque Grimsthorpe Castle estate. Included in the event entrance prices are the following:
• Formal gardens, including topiary, an ornamental vegetable garden and small arboretum.
• Extensive parkland and woodland close to the castle that can be explored on foot.
• A 50-acre lake (day fishing permits can be booked in advance!)
• Grimsthorpes red deer herd (including hand-reared stags that can be approached and even patted!).
• A huge childrens woodland adventure playground and toddler area right next to the off-road event.
Grimsthorpe Castle itself will also be open to the public from 1-4.30pm on both days of the event. This magnificent castle, part of which dates back to the 13th century, has a North front designed in the 18th century by Vanbrugh (who also designed Castle Howard and Blenheim Palace). Visitors can view the impressive staterooms with their historic furniture and paintings.
Please note that the castle entrance fee of £3 adults, £2.50 OAPS and £1.50 under-16s is not included in the FW4x4 event entrance price.