ICI to sell four farms
ICI is selling four farms it owns as part of the intended disposal of the Wilton Castle estate on Teesdide.
The giant chemical company acquired the farms when it bought the estate – 299ha (740 acres) of woods, hills and farmland – in 1946 from the Lowther family.
The purchase was part of the land deal under which the company bought 809ha (2000 acres) on the Tees river plain to create its Wilton site, one of the worlds largest petrochemical complexes.
The Wilton assets – once part of the companys agricultural division – are being put on the market in the latest phase of the companys £5bn disposal programme.
- Financial Times 25/01/99 page 7