Killer farmer set free
AN AFRIKANER farmer who shot dead a six-month-old black baby walked free from a South African court after a judge ruled he had no intention of harming the child.
The judge ruled that the action of Nicholaas Steyn, who has been allowed to keep his gun, was not racially motivated but a horrible freak accident.
The judge said there had been many violent and murderous attacks on white farmers and Mr Steyns life could be threatened if he did not have a weapon.
The baby was being carried piggy-back style by her cousin when she was shot.
Mr Steyn had claimed he had been attacked on his smallholding before and he could not see who was on the path because of tall grass.
- Armed guard for SA farmer accused of babay murder, FWi, 15 April, 1998
- SA farmer charged with baby murder, FWi, 14 April, 1998
- The Times 24/03/99 page 16
- The Guardian 24/03/99 page 14 (News in Brief)
- The Herald 24/03/99 page 14