16 October 1998
Licence needed for sheep dip disposal

Licence needed for sheep dip disposal

By FWi staff

SHEEP producers will soon have to apply for licences to dispose of sheep dip on open land, as the government steps up its efforts to meet EU rules on groundwater protection.

New regulations are expected by the end of the month, with licensing due to commence early next year.

Currently farmers have only to comply with certain guidelines on sheep dip disposal.

Pressure for the change has come from the EU Commission, which last week threatened to take the UK to the European Court if it did not tighten its controls within three months.

The commission says that, without licensing, the government is failing to meet the terms of the 1980 Groundwater Directive.

Licences will also be required for discharging pesticides on open ground.

In practice, this is less of an issue as farmers can still spray tank washings on growing crops without a licence.

  • Government to hit farmers with sheep dip-dumping costsFWi, 8 December 1997, 1998
  • Mixed reception for new sheep-dipping adviceFWi, 20 March, 1998