Monsanto admits GM promotion failed
BIOTECHNOLOGY giant Monsanto has admitted that its campaign to promote genetically modified (GM) foods in Europe has backfired.
Hendrik Verfaillie, Monsantos president, said some consumer groups and environmental activists had outsmarted the company.
Monsanto would now attempt to be “more open and accessible” in trying to win over public opinion to its cause, he added.
Monsanto now plans to appoint an external advisory council, with representatives drawn from the scientific and environmental communities, to advise on strategy.
- “Gung-ho firms can turn off public”, FWi, 04 February, 1999
- Watchdog slams Monsantos genetically modified ads, FWi, 01 March, 1999
- Gills fury at Monsanto ads, FWi, 09 December, 1998
- Monsanto ads are misleading, say pressure groups, FWi, 22 June, 1998
- Financial Times 15/03/99 page 18