Now Sainsburys pledges more for milk
By FWi staff
SAINSBURYS has announced it will pay milk suppliers an extra 2ppl for milk.
The move follows meetings with suppliers to bridge the gap between the cost of producing raw milk and the price farmers are paid for it.
Robin Tapper, Sainsburys dairy commercial manager, said: “We will pay our suppliers more for milk on the understanding that the extra money is going to British farmers.”
Other retailers, including Asda, Safeway and Tesco have already made similar pledges.
Sainsburys claims to have abandoned the traditional biannual milk round, preferring to review prices “when the market demands”.
- Signs of 1-2ppl milk price rise, FWi, 06 October, 2000
- Unigate/Crest joins price-rise club, FWi, 29 September, 2000
- Asda to pay 2ppl more for milk, FWi, 18 September, 2000
- Now Safeway pays 2ppl more for milk, FWi, 19 September, 2000
- NFU joins calls for 3p more for milk, FWi, 04 September, 2000