PIC hits bottom of trough
PIC International struck a deficit of 1.8 million before exceptional gains for the first half of its financial year but believes that good times are just around the corner.
The pig breeding company reports tentative signs of improving pig prices in Europe and the USA.
PICs loss was offset by exceptional net gains of 10m to give a pre-tax profit of 8.3m. This compared to break-even in the same period in 1998.
The groups European business made an operating loss of 4.2m. Turnover was down 12% at 71.1m.
PIC chairman Brian Baldock said the company was “ideally placed to benefit from the increase in demand which will in time follow the recovery in pig prices”.
- Breeder sees end ot pig sector trough, FWi, 22 December, 1999
- Pig slump hits PIC International, FWi, 16 September, 1999
- No divi from PIC International, FWi, 11 February, 1999
- PIC shares fall 25% after warning, FWi, 15 December, 1998
- The Times 16/02/2000 page 28 (Business Roundup)
- The Independent 16/02/2000 page 3 (Wednesday Review)
- Financial Times 16/02/2000 page 26