Plant benefits know no bounds
PLANTS have a multiplicity of benefits, according to a molecular biologist at the Institute of Biotechnology in Cambridge, writing in The Guardian.
Dr Claire Cockcroft says they have a “remarkable range of uses” – medicinal and healing, cosmetics and fragrance, relaxation and aromatherapy, dyeing and insect repellents.
She says that they will increasingly be used to make pharmaceuticals and other products for the healthcare industry.
She also details a number of beneficial applications for genetically modified crops.
- Brown backs biotechnology, FWi, 07 September 1999
- Government announces new GM watchdog FWi, 21 May 1999
- Fischler backs biotechnology – but not on animals FWi, 22 September 1997
- Biotechnology or backwater? FWi, 11 July 1997
- The Guardian 30/09/99 page S2-S3 (Science Section)