Scots farmers prepare lobby on reform
THE Scottish National Farmers Union is preparing to mount a lobbying campaign in Brussels on the reforms of Europes common agriculture policy (CAP).
George Lyon, NFUS president, envisages a battle over Europes two systems of beef production – the European intensive method or the British extensive system.
He warns that both sectors could become uncompetitive unless farmers receive reasonable levels of compensation for planned cuts in intervention prices.
He also foresees difficulties in the transfer of Hill Livestock Compensatory Allowances from a system based on livestock numbers to an acreage basis.
- Scots landowners “positive” on reforms, FWi, today (27 January, 1999)
- Scots landowners launch land code, Farmers Weekly, 15 January, 1999
- Scots land reform will prompt “chaos”, FWi, 13 January, 1999
- Scottish land reform is “state socialism”, FWi, 07 January, 1999
- The Herald 27/01/99 page 24