Second white farmer killed
WHITE farmers were branded “enemies of Zimbabwe” by president Robert Mugabe shortly after one of their number was murdered by a mob of squatters.
Martin Olds, aged 42, was shot dead trying to defend his farm 50 miles south of Zimbabwes second city, Bulawayo, on Tuesday (17 April).
In a speech marking the 20th anniversary of Zimbabwes independence from Britain, Mr Mugabe declared “white farmers are the enemy of the state”.
This killing follows the murder of another white farmer by squatters who have invaded at least 500 white-owned farms demanding land distribution.
The murder of Mr Olds receives front-page coverage in most of Wednesdays newspapers.
The Independent prints a photograph of Mr Olds beneath a headline which reads: “Murdered by a mob, his only crime was to be a white farmer in Mugabes Zimbabwe.”
- White Zimbabwe farmer killed, FWi, 17 April, 2000
- Zimbabwe court backs white farmers, FWi, 13 April, 2000
- Squatters fire on Zimbabwe farm, FWi, 12 April, 2000
- Zimbabwe rules out action on squatters, FWi, 11 April, 2000
- The Independent 19/04/2000 page 1 and 13
- Financial Times 19/04/2000 pages 1, 12 and 20
- The Guardian 19/04/2000 pages 1, 4, 5 and 22
- The Times 19/04/2000 pages 1,4 and 5
- The Daily Telegraph 19/04/2000 pages 1, 8, 9 16 and 29
- The Express 19/04/2000 pages 5 and 11
- The Daily Mail 19/04/2000 pages 1and 8