30 August 1996

Secure heifer birth record documents

PRODUCERS selling heifer calves in the autumn sales should secure cattle birth record documents for them as verification of birth.

ADAS head of sheep and beef development Neil Pickard advises producers get an application form to apply for a CBRD from their MAFF local animal health office as soon as possible.

This must be signed by the farm vet to verify that records have been kept adequately and forms returned to the local animal health office, which would then issue the CBRD.

"The whole process can take a month," warns Mr Pickard. But he says that the CBRD would add value to heifers marketed this autumn.

"For those buying the cattle and finishing them at 20 months the document is proof of birth and will override dentition," he says.