Talks continue on banana dispute
US and European Union negotiators will continue their talks on Monday on how to resolve their banana dispute within the World Trade Organisation and avoid a trade war.
The USA has threatened punitive sanctions unless the European Union complies with a WTO ruling.
Both sides say they are prepared to abide by WTO procedures but they at loggerheads over the timing of a panel meeting to review the case.
- USA in banana talks with EU, FWi, yesterday (26 November, 1998)
- EU ready to do a deal over ACP bananas, FWi, 24 November, 1998
- US-EU banana battle reaches WTO, FWi, yesterday (23 November, 1998)
- “Banana war will go USAs way”, FWi, 18 November, 1998
- USA backs off from EU banana war, FWi, 17 November, 1998
- Financial Times 27/11/98 page 6 (News Digest)