Tony Martin spends Christmas in jail
by FWi staff
TONY Martin, the Norfolk farmer jailed for murder earlier this year, has spent his first Christmas inside HM Prison Gartree, Leicestershire.
Mr Martin claimed self-defence after shooting dead 16-year-old Fred Barras, who was burgling his farmhouse near Emneth, Wisbech.
But a jury at Norwich Crown Court decided that Mr Martin had committed murder and he was imprisoned for life last April.
Mr Martins solicitors are preparing an appeal against his conviction.
- Tony Martin gets life for murder, FWi, 19 April 2000
- Martin feared for his life, FWi, 14 April, 2000
- I was target of burglars – Martin, FWi, 13 April, 2000
- Shot burglar had criminal record, FWi, 12 April, 2000
- Accused farmer didnt trust police, FWi, 10 April, 2000
- Farmer pleads not guilty to killing burglar, FWi, 25 January, 2000