01 April 1999
Toxic rain blamed on agrochemicals

RAIN falling in Europe is so full of toxic pesticides it is too dangerous to drink, claim researchers from the Swiss Federal Institute for Environmental Science and Technology.

The institute found rain water contained almost 400 nanograms per litre of the pesticide 2-4-dinitrophenol – four times the limit set by the European Union.

The highest concentrations of the chemical were found in the first rainfall following a dry spell after crops had been sprayed.

  • The Guardian 01/04/99 page 17