Two tie for the top slot at Beds rally
NORTH Beds and Blunham YFCs tied for top place at Bedfordshire federations 50th annual rally gaining an equal number of competition points. The event, held at Manor Farm, Pertenhall, was well supported despite adverse weather conditions and raised a substantial sum for the Multiple Sclerosis Society.
• Raglan YFC won the cup for gaining most points at Gwent YFCs Farm Expo 96 held at Gwent Tertiary College, Usk.
• Eccleshall YFC won the overall rally cup at Staffordshire federations Spring Show and Rally.
• Bridgwater YFC was top scoring club at Somerset YFCs rally held at Yearsley Farm, Pawlett. The dairy championship was won by Steven Miller, Bridgwater; Melanie Alford, Wiveliscombe, won the baby beef championship and Jonathan Baker, Wedmore, won the lamb championship.
• Horncastle YFC was the top scoring club at Lincolnshire federations annual rally, held this year at Hall Farm, Leverton. North Holland YFC, the local club, was runner up and scooped the top prizes in the stockjudging competitions as well as the senior fun cup.
• Members of Escrick YFC, Yorks have resurfaced the drive to the Sue Ryder Home at Holme-on-Spalding Moor and raised £1000 for the charity with a sponsored bed push, carol singing and a coffee evening.
• Members of Barston & District YFC, West Midlands are planning to celebrate their clubs 50th anniversary with a dinner dance at the Manor Hotel, Meriden on Sat, Nov 9. Tickets £18. Details from Jane Owen (01676-522283).
Shuttleworth College students Sophie Donger and Mehalah Gallifant have completed a 1638 mile challenge visiting 36 agricultural colleges in 48hrs. The trip in Sophies Isuzu Trooper contributed almost £500 to the college Rag Week total which will be shared between the Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution and the casualty wing of Bedford Hospital.
Julie Sutton (18) of Nantwich YFC is the new Cheshire Dairy Queen. She took the title at Cheshire federations annual rally where her club won the Moody bowl for gaining most points overall. Julie is pictured here flanked by her ladies in waiting, Helen Oliver of Congleton YFC (left) and Sue Rowbotham, a fellow member of Congleton YFC.