US investors to raise Hillsdown bid
US venture capital concern Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst is expected to raise its bid for Hillsdown Holdings this week.
The US company is considering its options after a £816 million bid from the British private equity firm Candover.
Candovers cash offer of 145p a share trumped the original 127p bid from Hicks, Muse.
Hillsdown spun off its fresh foods and housebuilding divisions into two separate companies last year.
The remaining group includes brands from Chivers marmalade to Buxted chickens.
- Bid battle breaks out for Hillsdown, FWi, 28 May, 1999
- Offer document posted for Hillsdown, FWi, 25 May, 1999
- Hillsdown shares soar on news of bid, FWi, 18 May, 1999
- Bids split Hillsdown board, FWi, 17 May, 1999
- US firm bids £450m for Hillsdown, FWi, 14 May, 1999
- The Daily Telegraph 01/06/99 page 30