USA in banana talks with EU
THE USA and the European Union are trying to negotiate a solution to their dispute over bananas, which has had the makings of a major trade war.
The Americans have threatened a draconian regime of sanctions on its exports unless the EU complied with a World Trade Organisation (WTO) ruling. The WTO had outlawed the EUs preferential treatment of Caribbean bananas.
The US and EU are now trying to agree on a further hearing before a WTO panel.
- EU ready to do a deal over ACP bananas, FWi, 24 November, 1998
- US-EU banana battle reaches WTO, FWi, yesterday (23 November, 1998)
- “Banana war will go USAs way”, FWi, 18 November, 1998
- USA backs off from EU banana war, FWi, 17 November, 1998
- Financial Times 26/11/98 page 7
- The Herald 26/11/98 page 27