USA keeps up banana threats
THE USA is continuing to strike a belligerent tone against the European Unions import regime for bananas, despite winning a review from the World Trade Organisation (WTO).
The WTO decided yesterday that a panel should rule on whether the EUs amended banana import regime complies with previous WTO judgements.
Washington said it would still seek authority to levy $570 million-worth (£350m) of sanctions against the EU when the WTO dispute settlement body meets on 25 January.
The dispute settlement body yesterday agreed to review the consistency of the EUs banana import system that came into effect on 1 January.
The USA is objecting to the European Unions preferential import terms on bananas with some African, Caribbean and Pacific Countries..
- WTO to meet on bananas, FWi, 11 January, 1999
- Caribbean banana exporters attack USA, FWi, 05 January, 1999
- The Times 13/01/99 page 1, 23, 25 (Commentary)
- The Independent 13/01/99 page 17
- Financial Times 13/01/99 page 4
- The Daily Telegraph 13/01/99 page 25