USA rigging WTO agenda
THE European Union, Japan and other countries have accused the USA of trying to rig the agenda for the new trade round towards its own interests.
They have accused Washington of exerting pressure to exclude from the talks in Seattle proposals with which it disagrees.
The USA is also trying to restrict the proceedings to issues that appeal its interests, they claim.
The USA has given a high priority to liberalising trade on agriculture and played down proposals for negotiations on anti-dumping regulations, investment rules and competition policy
- EU set for battle with Cairns Group, FWi, today (11 October, 1999)
- EU prepares to defend farm subsidies, FWi, 28 September 1999
- WTO talks wont be easy – Fischler, FWi, 14 September 1999
- US farmers demand free markets, FWi, 29 July 1999
- Financial Times 11/10/99 page 8