WTO issues verdict on banana dispute
THE World Trade Organisation has formally ruled that the European Union has failed to bring its banana import regime into line with WTO fair trade rules.
The EU has already pledged to comply with the ruling, though it may be next January before new banana import arrangements are in place.
The US was granted WTO authorisation last month to impose punitive tariffs of nearly £122 million on a range of EU goods.
The European Commission hopes to make proposals for an amended regime by the end of this month.
- WTO considers banana regime, FWi, 28 April, 1999
- EU to reform banana regime, FWi, 20 April, 1999
- WTO to authorise banana sanctions, FWi, 19 April, 1999
- Europe ready to accept banana defeat, FWi, 16 April, 1999
- WTO to back US banana sanctions? FWi, 13 April, 1999
- Good week for the US, FWi, 12 April, 1999
- Financial Times 07/05/99 page 9