WTO to decide on sanctions
WORLD Trade Organisation arbitrators are due to convene a meeting in Geneva to decide on the level of sanctions against the European Union EU for failing to lift its ban on hormone-treated beef imports from the USA.
The US claim is for just over $200 million (£124m), but the EU estimates the damage to US producers is less than $100m.
The ban has been declared unlawful, but the EU is continuing to block access to its markets.
- Canada backs USA over hormone beef, FWi, 27 May, 1999
- WTO to discuss hormone beef, FWi, 24 May, 1999
- USA and EU start beef talks, FWi, 21 May, 1999
- USA hits back over hormone beef, FWi, 20 May, 1999
- Europe to challenge USA over beef, FWi, 18 May, 1999
- The Guardian 03/06/99 page 26 (City Briefing)