Turkey producers and retailers are set to be rewarded for their hard work promoting innovation and consumption in the sector with the announcement of the annual British Turkey Awards 2011 finalists.
Some of the 30 interesting products sampled by an independent panel of judges include turkey breast fillets with jalapeno peppers and Monterey Jack cheese, hot and spicy turkey steaks, and wild mushroom-crust turkey steaks with creamy mushroom sauce.
In the best roast category, judges scrutinised 12 birds before choosing a finalist.
Judges were Lara Nugent, food editor of Best magazine, Lee Maycock, chef consultant for the Craft Guild of Chefs, and Lisa Maps, Sue Kirk and Jenny James, three consumers who won a place on the panel via the British Turkey website.
“Judging this year was no easy task. Manufacturers are producing some really great products in all the sectors. Turkey is, of course, the perfect meat for Christmas and carveries, but categories such as Best Ready-to-Eat and Best Meal Solution ensure turkey is a regular contender in the weekly shop,” said Lorna Cousins, chairman of the British Turkey Federation’s marketing committee.
“The vast range and continual innovation of British turkey products is truly highlighted in the awards shortlist.”
Winners of each category will be announced at a gala dinner on 22 September at The UnderGlobe restaurant, Shakespeare’s Globe, London.
British Turkey Awards shortlist 2011
Best Meal Solution
• Asda – Turkey Breast Fillets with Jalapeno Peppers and Monterey Jack Cheese
• Asda – Turkey Meatballs with Tomato Sauce
• Morrisons – Hot and Spicy Turkey Steaks
Best Innovative Product
• Bernard Matthews Farms – Marco’s Wild Mushroom Crust Turkey Steaks with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
• Sainsbury’s – Turkey Breast Strips with Red Pepper, Pak Choi, Red Onion and a Ginger, Coriander and Chilli Marinade
• Asda – Spiced Turkey Kofta Kebabs with Mint and Yoghurt Dressing
Best Catering Product
• Parkam Chilled Foods – Haycliffe Farm Easy Carve Breast
• The UK Foodhall – Cooked Sliced British Turkey Breast in Stock
• Snowbird Foods – Christmas Crackers
Best Ready to Eat Product
• Sainsbury’s – Applewood Smoked Carvery Turkey
• Asda – Extra Special Cherrywood Smoked Turkey
• Co-op – Truly Irresistible Free Range Butter Basted Turkey Breast
Best Christmas Convenience Product
• Morrisons – Luxury Turkey Crown
• Tesco – Finest Free-Range Turkey Butterfly Joint with Pork, Roasted Shallot and Herb Stuffing and a Pork and Winter Fruit Stuffing
• Sainsbury’s – Free Range Bronze Turkey Breast Joint with Roast Chestnut Stuffing
Best Christmas Traditional Product
• Waitrose – Free Range Bronze Turkey
• Waitrose – Fresh Plumpie Free Range Turkey
• Kelly Turkeys – KellyBronze Turkey
Turkey Retailer of the Year