Spar supermarket sign© Mark Newcombe/Rex Shutterstock

Retail chain Spar has recalled its ready-to-eat Chicken Bites snack bites after mould was found in the product.

The mould has resulted in “product spoilage”, leaving it unfit for human consumption.

The Food Standards Agency said this week that mould did not usually cause food poisoning, but it advised people from eating visibly mouldy foods as some spores could produce mycotoxins, resulting in illness.

See also: 4 ways to cut campylobacter in UK poultry

The snack products affected are the 56g bags with a use-by date of 29 October to 5 November and a barcode reading 501035823518.

Spar has displayed point-of-sale notices in stores and is advising customers to bring the product back.

“Please do not consume them. Please contact the store you purchased them from for a full refund,” the retain chain said in a statement.