Birkiebrae is a delightful property extending to about 11 acres with stunning views over the surrounding countryside.
The property comprises Birkiebrae, a range of outbuildings and approximately 11 acres and is offered for sale as a whole by Private Treaty. Birkiebrae is an attractive converted shepherd’s cottage constructed in stone under a pitched slate roof. The accommodation over two storeys comprises conservatory, kitchen with aga, sitting room, dining room, 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms as shown on the accompanying floor plans. There is additional loft space which is currently un-converted. Birkiebrae has benefited from improvements which have included loft insulation and the majority of the windows being double glazed. The property benefits from oil fired central heating.
There is a small terraced garden to the front of Birkiebrae with an immaculate sloping lawn leading to the road. Across the road there is a further lawn along the banks of the Falnash Burn. There is a charming footbridge across the burn leading to paddocks and an enclosed vegetable patch.
Adjacent to Birkiebrae there is an old calving byre which has been subdivided to form two separate entrances. In addition there is a corrugated garden shed, timber shed and greenhouse. Across the road set in an elevated position there is a stone built bothy which most recently has been utilised for lambing the sellers Suffolk sheep. The buildings currently provide useful ancillary storage but may offer alternative uses, subject to obtaining the necessary consents.
The land extends to approximately 11 acres and predominantly lies to the south of the property across the road and the Falnash Burn. It is currently grazed by a neighbouring farmer on an informal basis, but could be used as a smallholding as it provides good quality grassland. The land is classified as grade 42 and 52 with approximately 1.9 acres of woodland along the southern edge as shown on the accompanying plan.
General Remarks & Information
Strictly by appointment with Savills.
Scottish Borders Council.
The property is accessed along an unnamed road off the A7 as shown on the accompanying plan. The driveway will be owned by the purchaser however the neighbouring farmer does have a right of access over part of the driveway.
Offers in Scottish Legal Form are to be submitted to the selling agents, Savills, 28 Castle Street, Dumfries DG1 1DG. A closing date for offers may be fixed and prospective purchasers are advised to register their interest with the selling agents following inspection.
Servitude Rights, Burdens, Wayleaves And Statutory Public And Other Access Rights:
The Property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations and wayleaves, including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water, water and wayleaves, whether referred to in the General Remarks and stipulations or not. The purchaser (s) will be held to have satisfied himself as to the nature of all such servitude rights and others.
1. The neighbouring farmer has a right of access over part of the driveway and maintenance of the driveway is on a per user basis.
2. The neighbouring farmer has a right of access over the farm track running alongside the parcel of woodland.
3. The road from the A7 to Falnash is an adopted road providing access to Birkiebrae and the adjacent land.
Within 7 days of the conclusion of Missives a deposit of 10% of the purchase price shall be paid. The deposit will be non-returnable in the event of the Purchaser(s) failing to complete the sale for reasons not attributable to the Seller or his agents.
Should any discrepancy arise as to the boundaries or any points arise on the Remarks, Stipulations or Plan or the interpretation of any of them, the question shall be referred to the arbitration of the selling agents whose decision acting as experts, shall be final.
Plans, Areas and Schedules
These are based on the Ordnance Survey and are for reference only. They have been carefully checked and computed by the selling agents and the purchaser shall be deemed to have satisfied himself as to the description of the property and any error or mis-statement shall not annul the sale nor entitle either party to compensation in respect thereof.
Should there be any discrepancy between these particulars, the General Remarks and Information, Stipulations and the Missives of Sale, the latter shall prevail.
Savills, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either here or elsewhere, either on their own behalf or on behalf of their client or otherwise. They assume no responsibility for any statement that may be made in these particulars. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact, unless the same is incorporated within a written document signed by the Sellers or on their behalf satisfying the requirements of Section 3 of the Requirements of Writing (Scotland) Act 1995 or is granted in pursuance of any such document.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents and Savills have not tested any services, equipment or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise.
Acreage: 11 Acres
Travelling south on the A7 from Edinburgh towards Langholm, turn right 0.3 miles before Teviothead onto an unnamed road signposted for Falnash and Hislop. Follow this road for approximately 0.5 miles crossing the River Teviot and the driveway and house are located on the right hand side. There is a sign for Birkiebrae on the road.