Conducted by the Central Science Laboratory, from January to July 2004; response to perceived poor environmental profile associated with growing cereals and oilseed rape.
Findings are currently subject to consultation with government, environmental and farming industry representatives.
Final report to be available by the end of the year at www.hgca.com click on non-food crops.
- Carbon emissions by the transport sector are growing
- EU pressure to include 2% biofuel in fuel by 2005 and 5.75% by 2010
- Resistance from environmental groups to expansion in cropped area
- Favourable report on environmental impact of cereal and rape cropping
- Basis for discussion processes across whole industry
- Supporting UK production in face of cheaper imports
- Adding value on set-aside land
- Wall-to-wall wheat not a likely scenario
- Targets set for improvements in environmental protection
Return to the Research In Focus home page.