FWi guide to filling in 2007 single payment form – Wales

Already some of the 20,000 Welsh farmers have started seeking help with their single farm payments at open and private meetings sponsored by the Welsh Assembly Government and farmer organisations.

“Though there has been little change from last year, they just want to be sure of avoiding penalties for making errors on their forms,” said Susan Jones of the Farmers Union of Wales.

“Problems arise where farmers are letting or renting grass keep, especially involving land in England,” she said.

  • More than one farmer claiming the same land for the same scheme
  • Farmers failing to include all eligible parts of fields plus details of parts on which no claim was made, such as roads and dung heaps
  • Farmers claiming ineligible fields for particular schemes
  • Farmers over or under declaring the size of fields, or failing to declare all fields
  • The start date of the 2006 10-month period(s) overlapping with the 2005 10-month period
  • Overlapping with other customers’ 10-month periods for the same land declared, such as when grazing lets are signed

A separate application form was needed for land held outside Wales, but both should be submitted to the assembly by 15 May, where they will be treated as a single application.

Mrs Jones added that it was vital a farmer taking a grass let knew who would claim on the land. Sorting out duplicate claims delayed payment.

The different cropping codes and mapping used for agri-environment schemes could also cause confusion, as could the section to be completed by farmers eligible for 2008 Tir Mynydd less favoured area payments.

The 2007 Welsh single application form also covers: Aid for Energy Crops, the Protein Crop Premium and Tir Cynnal entry level agri-environment scheme.

An assembly official told Farmers Weekly that farmers should declare all land on the holding (owned or rented) including woodland, tracks, yards and so on. Farmers must also use the appropriate codes to show how they use these parcels/parts.

“Where farmers wanted to include previously unregistered land, such as following permanent boundary changes or land being declared for the first time, they must complete a Field Maintenance Form FM2,” the official added.

  • All documents submitted should be marked with applicant’s Customer Reference Number (CRN).
  • New codes for Welsh agri-environment/Rural Development Plan schemes must be used on forms.
  • An applicant is responsible for cross compliance, even if a breach is committed by another farmer using the land. 
  • Forms are scanned by computer so entries must be made in black ink and applicants must write only in the grey boxes.
  • Copies of completed forms should be retained.
  • Late claim penalties are imposed on forms received after 15 May. Applicants are strongly advised to return forms by Recorded Delivery and retain Post Office receipt.

Further help in filling in your form is available at:

  • Welsh Assembly Divisional Offices in Caernarfon, Carmarthen and Llandrindod Wells. Monday to Friday, 9am-4.30pm, 1-15 May except Bank Holiday Monday (7 May)
  • On the same dates and times at WAG Area Offices at Aberystwyth, Brecon, Lampeter, St Asaph and Swansea
  • Also at Newtown 9am-3.30pm and at Dolgellau on 2, 4, 8-11 May and 15 May between 9.30am and 4.30pm
  • From staff of both Welsh farming unions, who have attended briefing meetings with civil servants to be able to provide practical advice at surgeries and face to face meetings at caller offices

Other FWi single payment form guides:
Northern Ireland

See more