The announcement was made last night at the British Poultry Awards 2018 in front of over 250 industry VIPs including retail buyers, manufacturers, producers and farmers. The event, which took place at the Sheraton Grand Park Lane hotel saw awards handed to winners of 15 industry categories ranging from Best Duck Seasonal Product to Foodservice Operator of the Year. Three new supply chain categories were added this year to honour those who work behind the scenes to drive the industry forward.
Hundreds of products were entered, and the best of the best were put forward as a finalist. Judges tasted over 60 products including Harissa Chicken Escalopes, Bistro Duck Legs with Orange and Maple Glaze.
Endorsement and dedicated logo
Poultry Retailer of the Year, Asda, has the opportunity to carry the endorsement on its entire range of everyday fresh poultry cuts for a 12-month period, while all winners will benefit from a dedicated logo to use on their advertising and Point of Sale campaigns.
Broad selection of British poultry products
In addition to winning Retailer of the Year, Asda took home the prize for Best Chicken – All Year Round, with Chicken Wings of the World; Best Turkey Product – All Year Round, with Its Butchers’ Selection Turkey and Caramelised Onion Sausages; and Best Turkey Product – Seasonal, with its Extra Special Free Range & Corn-Fed British Bronze Turkey. This year Asda was again praised for its enthusiasm for the event and for having a broad selection of British poultry products and oven ready dishes.
Best New Poultry Launch for Gressingham
Duck specialist Gressingham took home Best New Poultry Launch with its Bistro Duck Legs with Orange and Maple Glaze while start-up The Cornish Duck Company won Best Duck Product – All Year Round for its Cherry Smoked Terras Duck Breast.
Biggest event in the poultry industry calendar
Richard Griffiths, chief executive, British Poultry Council said, “Our awards is the biggest event in the poultry industry calendar providing an important platform to recognise small and large players for their continued contribution to make the industry the success it is.
“It’s a great opportunity to applaud the innovators and we’re pleased to say that this year we attracted a huge number of high spec products from across the industry. A huge thanks to all those who entered and congratulations to all winners.”
The judging panel comprised Sheila Eggleston – Food & Drink Editor, Cost Sector Catering, Lee Maycock – chef consultant, Nichola Palmer, Woman magazine and Phil Clarke, Farmers Weekly.
Winners in full:
- Best Chicken Product – AYR (sponsored by Calor) Asda Chicken Wings of the World
- Highly Commended: Morrisons Market Street Chicken Breast with Mango Dhal
- Best Chicken Product – seasonal (sponsored by Elanco) Aldi Harissa Chicken Escalopes
- Best New Poultry Launch (sponsored by Arden Wood Shavings) Gressingham Bistro Duck Legs with Orange and Maple Glaze
- Best Duck Product – AYR (sponsored by Knights Construction) The Cornish Duck Co Cherry Smoked Terras Duck Breast
- Best Duck Product – seasonal (sponsored by ABN)
- Joint winners: Morrisons Whole Duck (Christmas) Aldi Easy Carve Duck with Pork and Clementine Stuffing with Zest Maple and Clementine Glaze
- Best Turkey Product – AYR (sponsored by Hybrid Turkeys) Asda Butchers Selection Turkey and Caramelised Onion Sausages
- Best Turkey Product – seasonal (sponsored by Ceva Animal Health) Asda Extra Special Free Range & Corn-Fed British Bronze Turkey
- Best Poultry Foodservice Product (sponsored by Poultry Health Services) Green Gourmet Ltd Red Tractor Raw Chicken Breast Fillet Portion 57g
- Poultry Foodservice Operator of the Year (sponsored by Easichick) The UK Foodhall Ltd
- Poultry Retailer of the Year (sponsored by Clarke Group Construction) Asda
- Student Chefs of the Year (sponsored by Aviagen Turkeys) Bayan Zuraiki – University of West London Kieran Pigott – University of West London
- Poultry Supply Chain – Innovation (sponsored by Keyo) PrognostiX
- Poultry Supply Chain – Standout Performance (sponsored by MSD Animal Health) Keyo
- Poultry Supply Chain – Champion (sponsored by Asda) John Cooper – Alltech
- Best Poultry Recipe in Association with Red Tractor (sponsored by Sundown Products) Mandy Miller – Chinese Chicken Wings