76-year-old man beaten and mugged at Royal Welsh Show

Police are appealing for information leading to the arrest of thugs who beat up and left an elderly man for dead at the Royal Welsh Show.

Islwyn Jones, 76, was knocked unconscious between 11pm and 12 midnight on Tuesday 23 July and left lying in bushes overnight during a violent thunderstorm.

Mr Jones was found lying in a hedgerow the following day with his money and mobile phone missing.

Dyfed-Powys Police called for information on the attack, which took place outside campsite toilets near the cattle sheds at Lower North 12, entrance F.

A police spokeswoman said the victim reported leaving the toilets and being punched in the face.

Mr Jones remains in hospital, where he is recovering from injuries to his face and head. He has undergone successful surgery to the most severe injury to his hand.

Friends and well-wishers have rallied around, raising more than £3,000 on the GoFundMe website

The funding is to help Mr Jones pay for the recovery of his camper van, which was apparently seized on the way to the show.

Mr Jones had unknowingly let the van’s MOT lapse and friends have suggested the money could be used to help pay for its retest and any repair necessary.

Meanwhile, the Royal Welsh Agricultural Society (RWAS) has expressed its sympathy and concern at the incident.

In a statement on its Facebook page, the RWAS said it was continuing to support the police in their investigation into the alleged assault. “We are offering support, including CCTV footage, and will continue to liaise with those who have conduct of these matters.”

It also responded to criticism from some showgoers saying the security at the campsite was lax.

“Our effective initial response led to the quick recovery of the man and we maintain that level of focus behind the scenes,” the statement said.

“RWAS staff are not investigators and we must leave such matters to the professionals.

“We will review the circumstances to ensure any lessons are understood, however, for now, all our thoughts and energy continue to be with Islwyn at this time.”

How to provide information

If you have any information that could help, please contact Dyfed-Powys Police, quoting reference DPP/2166/24/07/2019/02/C

Second crime at Royal Welsh

A second visitor at the Royal Welsh Show was also the victim of a distressing crime.

Young farmer Alex Suppan has asked for help after her car was wrecked in what appears to be a prank that went too far. 

Ms Suppan was staying at Penmaenau Farm, along with many other young farmers, and had parked her blue Citroen on a designated sloping car park. 

When she returned on Tuesday 25 July, she found the car had been picked up and rolled down the hill.

It was so badly smashed, insurers have written it off, and Ms Suppan has asked for information through her Facebook page. 

“I’m a young farmer and now left without a car, having just finished my degree, soon to start a job.

“I need to find out who has done it. I want to get the message out there and see if anyone knows anything about it, please.

“If you have any information about this car, please let me know. It was parked in the far car park of Penmaenau, last seen around 4.00pm on the 24th of July, then found vandalised at 9.30am on 25 July.”

Upcoming webinar

What does the future of farming look like post Covid-19 and Brexit?

Register now