02 September 1999
Defence fund for Norfolk farmer
SOLICITORS acting for the Norfolk farmer charged with the murder of a teenager suspect-burglar have appealed for contributions towards his defence.
The appeal for funds came as an unsuccessful bail application for Tony Martin was made yesterday (Wednesday).
Solicitors said that hiring a Queens Counsel to represent Martin could cost well into six figures.
Fred Barras, 16, of Newark, Nottinghamshire, was found dead at Martins farm near Emneth, Norfolk, almost a fortnight ago.
Mr Martin is also accused of causing grievous bodily harm to Brendon Fearon, 29, of Newark.
- Murder-charge farmer attracts more support, FWi, 26 August, 1999
- Support for murder-charge farmer, FWi, 25 August, 1999
- Norfolk farmer charged with murder, FWi, 24 August, 1999
- The Times 02/09/99 page 4
- The Guardian 02/09/99 page 6
- The Daily Telegraph 02/09/99 page 4 (In Brief)
- The Herald 02/09/99 page 8 (In Brief)