2 November 1999
Farming around the world
- Beef in demand in North America
Analysts are surprised at high demand for red meat, defying the usual post-barbecue season slump.
- Slovenian concern at EU red meat ban
Cattle breeder are shocked at the EU decision to ban imports of Slovenian red meat, while Croatia has given assurances it will not follow suit for the time being.
- New BSE case in France
A new case of BSE has been discovered in France, bringing the total to 22 this year.
- Kelloggs acquires soya company
Leading cereal company Kelloggs buys soya-based meat alternative company Worthington Foods Inc as is expands its soya product range.
- Embargo blocks tractor sales to Cuba
Cuban agricultural officials would like to buy Caterpillar tractors, but the American company cant sell them any.
- Zambias organic opportunity
Organic production offers Zambia good opportunities to generate foreign exchange, the director of Export Board of Zambia has told a conference.
- 2003 EU entry date disappoints Hungarian opposition
Hungarian opposition politicians blame the government, as a provisional EU entry date is a year later than hoped.
- PACCAR Inc takes 14% stake in Rush Enterprises
Rush Enterprises, which operates John Deere dealerships and a farm superstore, has announced that PACCAR Inc has bought 14% of its common stock.