30 September 1999
France loses top EC farming post
FRANCE is to lose its 40-year grip on the top agricultural post in the European Commission as part of a wide-ranging shake-up of administration at Brussels.
Half of the Commissions most senior civil servants are to be rotated in the shake-up which breaks the stranglehold some nationalities had developed on top jobs in particular directorates.
The changes result in 16 senior moves, with 14 of the 24 directorates set to have new directors by late next year.
The current holder of the agriculture job, Guy Legras, steps down on the 31 October. His job will be advertised.
- Early retirement for EC deputy chief
, FWi, 31 July 1997
- The Times 30/09/99 page 12
- The Independent 30/09/99 page 16, page 3 (Editorial – Review)
- Financial Times 30/09/99 page 2, page 23 (Editorial), page 24
- The Guardian 30/09/99 page 17
- The Daily Telegraph 30/09/99 page 16