03 September 1999
French farm protests continue
JAILED sheep farmer, French farm union leader and protest standard bearer JosÈ BovÈ has been refused bail for his part in a raid on a hamburger restaurant.
French farmers stepped up their protests yesterday following the decision by a court in Montpellier with several demonstrations in towns and cities.
The farmers say claim that supermarket chains are squeezing their profits by paying low prices for their produce.
- French step up anti-US campaign, FWi, 1 September 1999
- US rejects French criticism of food policies, FWi, yesterday (30 August, 1999)
- French farm minister attacks GMs, FWi, 26 August, 1999
- French rally against USA and supermarkets, FWi, 25 August, 1999
- McDonalds hit in hormone-beef war, FWi, 19 August, 1999
- The Herald 03/09/99 page 29 (In Brief)